What Do British Call the Movie Theater?

Movie Theater|Theater

When it comes to the cinema, the British have a number of terms they use to describe the movie theater. The most popular term is ‘the pictures’. This term dates back to the era when silent films were first shown in small theaters and the only way to communicate was through pictures.

Other terms used include ‘the flicks’, ‘the fleapit’, ‘the picturesque’, and ‘the silver screen’. The term ‘flicks’ is thought to be derived from the idea of flipping through a stack of film reels. Meanwhile, ‘fleapit’ is derived from a derogatory term used by British filmgoers during World War II for small, run-down theaters.

The term ‘picturesque’ refers to the old-fashioned style of movie theater that was popular in Britain during the 1950s and 1960s. These theaters were often lavishly decorated and often showed foreign films as well as Hollywood blockbusters. The term ‘silver screen’ was also popular during this period, referring to how before color films were introduced all movies were shown on a silver screen.

In modern times, these older terms are still used but they are often abbreviated or combined with other words such as ‘cineplex’ or ‘multiscreen’. There are also some specialized terms such as ‘drive-in cinema’, which refers to outdoor movie theaters where viewers watch movies from their car.

Overall, it’s clear that the British have a rich vocabulary for describing movie theaters and their various types. Whether it’s an old-fashioned fleapit or a modern cineplex, there’s sure to be a suitable term for it!

Conclusion: In conclusion, when it comes to describing movie theaters in Britain there are several different terms that can be used including “the pictures”, “flicks”, “fleapit”, “picturesque” and “silver screen”. In modern times, these terms may be abbreviated or combined with other words such as ‘cineplex’ or ‘multiscreen’ while ‘drive-in cinema’ is specifically used for outdoor cinemas.